Monday, November 15, 2010

Magic Places


To me a Magic Place is where the collective intelligence of a people from long ago still lingers, infusing the very stones with their spirit. You may know what I mean when I talk of an Old Soul—a person who when you first meet them you know they are special. It’s as if they are more evolved than the rest of us and possess a greater understanding of the world. Their wisdom is palpable.

Some places have this same sort of wisdom. Pueblo Bonito at Chaco Canyon is one of those Old Soul places. You can feel it. As if the breath of the ancestors still mingles with the canyon breezes that flow through the ruins. More than that, it is a sacred place where the gods themselves still hold court.

How do you capture this magic with a camera, a device that is firmly rooted in our modern, digital world? I don’t know if I can answer that. I think you have to be there, be still and let the spirit of it flow through you. Then you begin to feel the magic and photographing it becomes easy. Light, history and your own spirituality come together in a visual expression of the place.


--Janet Worne


No comments:

Post a Comment