Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Meet the Artist: Urey Lemen


As a member since the gallery's inception, Urey is APG's longest standing member. Best known for his breathtaking landscapes, Urey's use and understanding of light and his technical precision in image capture results in a portrayal of classic Southwestern themes in an unparalleled fashion. You can find Urey at various shows throughout the year, particularly those associated with the CSA/New Mexico Artists' Market, in addition to year-round at APG.

I spoke a bit with Urey regarding his history in photography. Here's what he had to say:

How did you come to love photography?
I have loved photography since I was a child. My father took slides and super 8 movies. I picked it up from him, though I didn’t get really serious until after I retired.”

Did the work of anyone in particular inspire you?
Like a lot of photographers, I really loved the work of Ansel Adams. I had my own little darkroom and did all of my own developing and printing of black and white images.”

What's your favorite subject to photograph?
I’m lucky to live in the Southwest. I love the landscapes here, both grand and close up. Red rocks, mountains, waterfalls, Indian ruins, flowers; the Southwest has it all.”

Do you do a lot of planning for a shoot, or are you more of an opportunist?
I’m probably mostly an opportunistic shooter. As an avid outdoorsman, I am out camping and fishing a lot. I always have a camera with me. That said, I take a few trips each year that are planned around photography.”

Describe your creative process.
I love capturing images. Frankly, I have never been great about working on them. I have boxes and boxes of slides and digital images that never see the light of day. I need to work on what I already have more.”

It sounds like we have a lot to look forward to where Urey's work is concerned!  You can find the images included here and many more at APG. Check out Urey's webpage as well as his page at APG for other examples of his work!


No comments:

Post a Comment